her hands, my hair and a new haircut :)

You never really know, what's going to be special each day. So I got up in the morning realizing that it's high time I get a hair cut. I got up late and headed off on foot to look around San Jose and find a hair saloon. I asked a couple of people, but each of them seemed even more lost than I was.

Tired, and famished, I started looking for a restaurant instead. Usually I end up eating not so good food, when I eat randomly like that - ok maybe that's not totally true but.....So anyways I get into this nice empty restaurant seeing falafel written outsid. Long story short- because this is one about a haircut- I had the most fabulous tandoori chicken "sandwich" i've had in the US yet :) - I'm going back for dinner there!

So I stroll outside aimlessly after that lovely meal and to my surprise as I'm passing by I see a hair saloon. So I walk in and there are three guys waiting. I have some time to kill, so I sit down and start reading some mind numbing rubbing about suits under 500 and celebrities. So finally its my turn. I sit in the chair and the girl walks away for a while. Then she comes in and checks messages on the mobile and starts messaging someone. Like I said I had time so I was just sitting there nearly dozing.

Then she asks me what kind of haircut I want. I realized I hadn't really thought about that and cursed myself softly. I tried hopelessly to explain something to her - not quite sure what I wanted myself. So finally after a lot of explaining I managed to make some sense. Make them short from the back, I beamed - happy that I'd reached a decision.

She cut my hair a little and then asked:

She: " Is your hair now long or very long ?"

For some reason something about common ground in communication came to my mind before i stamped out the thought of 502.

Me: "Sort of very long..." (why did i say sort of!!)

Anyways she said "I think they'll look better quite short" and I readily agreed.

She started on it a little and then suddenly got an idea.
She: "I'll give you a new style!"
Me: "ummm...er.... Sure, as long as people don't laugh"
She: "No, no I'll make it look really good, You'll look cute ;) !"

Well, that's the part in all such incidents I smile foolishly at and agree to anything.

Anyways she started on her masterpiece between talking about all sorts of things - about California, my major :), her hair cutting training, vietnam, india and bird flu :D.

She had a really great sense of humor! And kept telling me on how nervous I looked and asking me not to close my eyes. She said someone once told her that he had shut his eyes in a hair saloon and found his hair all gone :D. I was laughing so much I was afraid she might nip of my ear because of all the movement! She kept telling me how I would remember her after I left california as the person who ruined my hair :)

She made a far greater effort than she needed to and then told me how I could change the hair style in two different ways using gel. I told her I didn't really use gel and she said I would have to start using it now - because otherwise my hair didn't make sense :D - she was joking btw! She then actually put some gel on my hair and was teaching me how to use it in the future! She was so incredibly sweet!

And then she when I went to pay at the counter, she charged me less than the listed price!! I didn't know what to do. So I just added the largest tip i've given :) - not knowing what else to do. I feel so ridiculously awkward sometimes!

As I walked out, I realized how a small everyday encounter, that could otherwise have been insignificant be special, just because the other person is so sweet. A weird thing to remember at this moment but I remember I read a story for my 10th grade exam. It said that the most important time in your life is now, the most important person you are dealing with is the person you are with now and I think that's so true. In our busy lives we so often forget how important and special the present time and the person with us is. And I sort of made a note to myself - that I'm going to try my everyday encounters with others special too. Let's see how well I can keep it!

Oh btw, she told me about a great sea food restaurant in Seattle and I forgot the name!! damn!



Comments

Venusallure said…
What a mush!!!
I am looking for paper bags now to retch into.

And how is it possible that you skipped all the supercuts/wondercuts on your way in US where "cutting" is personal in all fields :D
I am sorry you had to famish for a cut.

Annie hoo...at least you can write, despite it being quite sermonish and ... k i will stop.

Popular posts from this blog

going mobile !

Expertise

3 Idiots and Chak De India